ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > General Discussion > Playing Monkey Island SE on ScummVM! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Playing Monkey Island SE on ScummVM!
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
billwashere



Joined: 14 Feb 2009
Posts: 63
Location: Australia
Re: Playing Monkey Island SE on ScummVM! 

quote:
Originally posted by MusicallyInspired
??? I think you mean SMI:SE. Steam works fine in Wine and Steam has nothing to do with Direct2Drive.


I'm an idiot.

quote:
Originally posted by dbzdeath
If someone knows how to modify SCUMMVM source to be compatible with the new version


There are many problems with this.
1) Legal
2) Audio is in XWB (Xbox Wave Bank) files. These are a closed source format and there are no open source codecs so there will be no sound. A way around this would to re-encode them and upload them as ogg/flac/what ever files. This could cause legal actions
3) As mention by bobdevis. The pixel shader effects.
4) Different file types http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=199164

This is just to name a few

quote:
Originally posted by ezekiel000
Well steam is known to work with wine: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=1554


Thanks ezekiel000, for the heads up.


quote:
Originally posted by billwashere
10 ) TODO: Files are in the wrong order but will play.


Can anyone figure out the track list. I do not own the cd version so i can not verify the track list without playing monkey island on ScummVM, then on Monkey Island SE

Bill
 Reply with quote  
Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:38 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
Red_Breast



Joined: 30 Sep 2008
Posts: 785
Location: The Bar Of Gold, Upper Swandam Lane.
Re: Playing Monkey Island SE on ScummVM! 

quote:
Originally posted by billwashere


quote:
Originally posted by dbzdeath
If someone knows how to modify SCUMMVM source to be compatible with the new version


There are many problems with this.
1) Legal
2) Audio is in XWB (Xbox Wave Bank) files. These are a closed source format and there are no open source codecs so there will be no sound. A way around this would to re-encode them and upload them as ogg/flac/what ever files. This could cause legal actions
3) As mention by bobdevis. The pixel shader effects.
4) Different file types http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=199164

This is just to name a few


Bill


I think we established that dbzdeath was talking about the SCUMM games that have been re-released on Steam. Not SMI:SE.
 Reply with quote  
Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:46 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
billwashere



Joined: 14 Feb 2009
Posts: 63
Location: Australia
 

Once again, i'm an idiot. Think i might keep quite for a while.

 Reply with quote  
Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:18 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer


Joined: 31 Oct 2005
Posts: 3284
Re: Playing Monkey Island SE on ScummVM! 

quote:
Originally posted by Red_Breast

I think we established that dbzdeath was talking about the SCUMM games that have been re-released on Steam. Not SMI:SE.


He was asking about the "new version(the new textures and new sounds)" in a thread titled "Playing Monkey Island SE on ScummVM". I don't see how that could be anything else than SMI:SE.

(In which case his question has been answered pretty thoroughly by now.)
 Reply with quote  
Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
Charlii



Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 41
 

So, anyone tried extracting the Scumm-files from the iPhone application yet?

 Reply with quote  
Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:47 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
Espiox



Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 54
Location: UK
 

quote:
Originally posted by mac_es
@dbzdeath

There is a project to include speech into the old game. They are getting ready for a test

code:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=199288





Yep, and we're looking for people to play the game and help us fix a few remaining problems. I should have a installation batch file ready soon, but until then you can find everything you need to know in that thread. All you need (aside from the relevant tools) is a copy of MI:SE (and optionally the CD version of MI1, but you can actually get that from the SE datafiles).
 Reply with quote  
Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
Red_Breast



Joined: 30 Sep 2008
Posts: 785
Location: The Bar Of Gold, Upper Swandam Lane.
Re: Playing Monkey Island SE on ScummVM! 

quote:
Originally posted by eriktorbjorn
quote:
Originally posted by Red_Breast

I think we established that dbzdeath was talking about the SCUMM games that have been re-released on Steam. Not SMI:SE.


He was asking about the "new version(the new textures and new sounds)" in a thread titled "Playing Monkey Island SE on ScummVM". I don't see how that could be anything else than SMI:SE.

(In which case his question has been answered pretty thoroughly by now.)




So Mac-es, from first page, was wrong?

"dbzdeath is referring to this post from sev:

http://sev-notes.blogspot.com/2009/07/steam-releases-vs-scummvm.html "

Without dbzdeath we'll never know.
Whatever that's the reason why I posted that.
 Reply with quote  
Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:52 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer


Joined: 31 Oct 2005
Posts: 3284
Re: Playing Monkey Island SE on ScummVM! 

quote:
Originally posted by Red_Breast

So Mac-es, from first page, was wrong?

"dbzdeath is referring to this post from sev:

http://sev-notes.blogspot.com/2009/07/steam-releases-vs-scummvm.html "

Without dbzdeath we'll never know.
Whatever that's the reason why I posted that.


That's probably where dbzdeath got the impression that supporting the special edition of Monkey Island was a simple five-minute hack. But sev wrote that article before the special edition was released, so he was clearly talking about the other SCUMM games that were released on Steam.

And this thread is - or was - apparently about extracting the original version Monkey Island (possibly with the new music, but without speech or new graphics) from the special edition.
 Reply with quote  
Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:56 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer


Joined: 16 Oct 2005
Posts: 585
 

quote:
Originally posted by Charlii
So, anyone tried extracting the Scumm-files from the iPhone application yet?


Yep. One big difference is that the audio is in .caf format (Apple's Core Audio File). The classic stuff is the same, as far as I can tell.
 Reply with quote  
Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:54 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
Charlii



Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 41
 

So I can buy this, play the new version on my iPhone and then extract the classic version with a few clicks (converting the music with QuickTime Pro) and then play my perfectly legal copy of the classic MI using ScummVM? Yay!

 Reply with quote  
Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:59 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer


Joined: 16 Oct 2005
Posts: 585
 

quote:
Originally posted by Charlii
So I can buy this, play the new version on my iPhone and then extract the classic version with a few clicks (converting the music with QuickTime Pro) and then play my perfectly legal copy of the classic MI using ScummVM? Yay!


Assuming there's nothing in the App Store license that prevents that (IANAL), yes.

EDIT: There's an audio converter called Switch which can directly batch convert from .caf to .mp3.

Last edited by Vinterstum on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
 Reply with quote  
Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:37 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
Charlii



Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 41
 

I'm not very good at reading legal texts, but the iTunes Store terms state that I have the right to copy a product for personal use, and that I can use it on up to five machines. The only catch would be if this counted as circumventing the DRM, but I can't really see how that would be the case since I'm only using Apple's built-in tools to copy a set of files...

 Reply with quote  
Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
sev
ScummVM Lead


Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Posts: 1935
Re: Playing Monkey Island SE on ScummVM! 

quote:
Originally posted by billwashere
quote:
Originally posted by dbzdeath
If someone knows how to modify SCUMMVM source to be compatible with the new version


There are many problems with this.
1) Legal

This is wrong argument, i.e. implementing such support will not violate the laws.


Eugene
 Reply with quote  
Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bobdevis



Joined: 16 Jan 2009
Posts: 563
Re: Playing Monkey Island SE on ScummVM! 

quote:
Originally posted by sev

This is wrong argument, i.e. implementing such support will not violate the laws.
Eugene

We are talking about MI1SE right? There is DRM in there so ScummVM support would effectively be a crack, if you look at it in a shortsighted way.
 Reply with quote  
Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
marzipan



Joined: 25 Nov 2005
Posts: 301
 

quote:
Originally posted by Vinterstum
EDIT: There's an audio converter called Switch which can directly batch convert from .caf to .mp3.

According to my experience just now it doesn't seem to recognise .caf files. =\
 Reply with quote  
Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:46 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
  Display posts from previous:      
Reply to topic

Forum Jump:
 
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2006 phpBB Group
Forum design by ScummVM team, icons by raina
curved edge   curved edge