ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > General Discussion > What are the best versions of each game? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
What are the best versions of each game?
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
Shanks



Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 10
What are the best versions of each game? 

I just installed ScummVM on my PSP for the first time last night, and I am blown away. So now of course I have to try all the games out.

If I had to choose one de-facto version of each game, which one would you recommend? By version, I'm referring to platform/media/variant, e.g. PC CD, PC Floppy VGA, PC Floppy EGA, Sega Mastersystem CD, SNES Cartrige, FM Towns CD, etc.

The games I'm curious about are
- Monkey Island 1 and 2
- Loom
- Indiana Jones (Crusade and Atlantis)
- Zak
- Maniac Mansion

Which version of each of the above has the overall best graphics, sound, and presentation?

 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
Kirben
ScummVM Developer


Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Posts: 411
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
 

Monkey Island 1 - PC CD version
Monkey Island 2 - PC version
Loom - PC CD version (For speech) or FM Towns version (For story)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - FM Towns version
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - PC version
Zak KcKracken - FM Towns verison
Maniac Mansion - PC Enhanced version

 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
TribeHasSpoken



Joined: 13 Mar 2006
Posts: 51
 

I find for most games it's easy to buy a copy of the PC version, but much harder to find any other version (at least on eBay). While I'd love to try out other versions, I take whatever I can get.

 Reply with quote  
Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
df
ScummVM Developer


Joined: 25 May 2006
Posts: 38
 

i must be odd coz I didnt like the fm-towns zak, I liked the pc-ega version...

 Reply with quote  
Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
Shanks



Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 10
 

quote:
Originally posted by Kirben
Monkey Island 1 - PC CD version
Monkey Island 2 - PC version
Loom - PC CD version (For speech) or FM Towns version (For story)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - FM Towns version
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - PC version
Zak KcKracken - FM Towns verison
Maniac Mansion - PC Enhanced version


Awesome, thanks for that.
For Atlantis, when you say PC version I assume you're talking about the CD "talkie"? Or are you referring to the PC text-only version (floppy disk)?
 Reply with quote  
Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:44 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
Shanks



Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 10
 

quote:
Originally posted by TribeHasSpoken
I find for most games it's easy to buy a copy of the PC version, but much harder to find any other version (at least on eBay). While I'd love to try out other versions, I take whatever I can get.


I actually own all of those games in various versions and formats, but I don't own the FM Towns version. Since I have already paid for all of those games (3 times over in some cases), would you still consider it unscrupulous to download the FM Towns version?
 Reply with quote  
Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:52 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
sev
ScummVM Lead


Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Posts: 1930
 

quote:
Originally posted by Shanks
Since I have already paid for all of those games (3 times over in some cases), would you still consider it unscrupulous to download the FM Towns version?

This was explained many times. If you own a red BMW, does it give you the right to take black one for free?

Especially in the light of prices of FM-TOWNS games on eBay. Zak goes as far as 350 USD, other games are never cheaper than 100 USD.


Eugene
 Reply with quote  
Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:56 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kirben
ScummVM Developer


Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Posts: 411
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
 

quote:
Originally posted by Shanks

For Atlantis, when you say PC version I assume you're talking about the CD "talkie"? Or are you referring to the PC text-only version (floppy disk)?


Yes, the PC version on CD, with speech.

quote:
Originally posted by Shanks
I actually own all of those games in various versions and formats, but I don't own the FM Towns version. Since I have already paid for all of those games (3 times over in some cases), would you still consider it unscrupulous to download the FM Towns version?


Yes, there are currently FM TOWNS versions of the two Indiana Jones on eBay at the moment.
 Reply with quote  
Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:35 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
Shanks



Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 10
 

quote:
Originally posted by sev
quote:
Originally posted by Shanks
Since I have already paid for all of those games (3 times over in some cases), would you still consider it unscrupulous to download the FM Towns version?

This was explained many times. If you own a red BMW, does it give you the right to take black one for free?

Especially in the light of prices of FM-TOWNS games on eBay. Zak goes as far as 350 USD, other games are never cheaper than 100 USD.


Eugene


Comparing a car with out-of-print reproduceable media seems like a bit of a stretch to me, but since this seems to be the general consensus I'll go along.
 Reply with quote  
Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:07 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
Raziel
ScummVM Porter


Joined: 25 Oct 2005
Posts: 884
Location: A haunted Castle somewhere in the Bavarian Mountains
 

quote:
Originally posted by Kirben
Maniac Mansion - PC Enhanced version

May i disagree?

I thought (and still think) that the Amiga version of MM was best.

It had better music and the skin color was more natural,
not that "sunburn" look as in the PC enhanced version.
Link to pic
 Reply with quote  
Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:26 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kirben
ScummVM Developer


Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Posts: 411
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
 

quote:
Originally posted by Raziel

I thought (and still think) that the Amiga version of MM was best.

It had better music and the skin color was more natural,
not that "sunburn" look as in the PC enhanced version.
Link to pic


Well the preferred sound type (Amiga or PC) would be personal choice in this case.

The render mode (Amiga, EGA, etc.) can be choosen, with either version, when using ScummVM though.
 Reply with quote  
Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:25 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
OmerMor
Got a warning


Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 141
Location: Israel
 

The best Maniac Mansion version is of course Maniac Mansion Deluxe, by LucasFan.

Anyway - since this question is raised quite often, why not add a wiki page which gives the best versions of each game in a table with various criterias, like sound, graphics, content (e.g. Floppy Loom has longer dialoges than CD Loom)?

I think such a reference page whould be very usefull.

Omer Mor.

 Reply with quote  
Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
timofonic



Joined: 01 Jun 2006
Posts: 254
 

quote:
Originally posted by OmerMor
The best Maniac Mansion version is of course Maniac Mansion Deluxe, by LucasFan.


Read ScummVM's FAQ 2.4


quote:

2.4. When will Maniac Mansion Deluxe be supported?

The short answer: never. The long answer: This game is a fan-made replica of the original Maniac Mansion. It is not the same game as Maniac Mansion Enhanced, which we do support. It features improved music, sound, 256-colors graphics and reworked game interface. It was made using the Adventure Game Studio which is a free, albeit closed-source graphics adventures engine. There are Windows, Linux and FreeBSD versions of the engine. Its author keeps his source code closed due to reasons explained in the project FAQ (see last two questions). That means that you need to download that program to play the game.



Last edited by timofonic on Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
 Reply with quote  
Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:56 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
Shanks



Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 10
 

quote:
Originally posted by Kirben
Monkey Island 1 - PC CD version
Monkey Island 2 - PC version
Loom - PC CD version (For speech) or FM Towns version (For story)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - FM Towns version
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - PC version
Zak KcKracken - FM Towns verison
Maniac Mansion - PC Enhanced version


Out of curiosity, why do you prefer the PC version of Atlantis over the FM Towns version? Same question for MI2... any particular reason? I'm just wondering if I should persue getting the FM Towns versions, or just stick with the PC CD versions I currently own...
 Reply with quote  
Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:56 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
karsten



Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Posts: 14
 

You might also check this older thread http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=263

 Reply with quote  
Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:59 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
  Display posts from previous:      
Reply to topic

Forum Jump:
 
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next


Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2006 phpBB Group
Forum design by ScummVM team, icons by raina
curved edge   curved edge