ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > General Discussion > minor AGI IIgs annoyance
minor AGI IIgs annoyance
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
Maxor127



Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Posts: 13
minor AGI IIgs annoyance 

A minor gripe is that the AGI IIgs games use the function key commands that the DOS (and probably other versions) use instead of shift + number key commands. Can the IIgs version be changed to support their original key commands? It could even be in addition to the function keys.

So F1 should be shift 1. The in-game instructions still include the correct shift commands.


Last edited by Maxor127 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total

 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
sev
ScummVM Lead


Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Posts: 1930
 

Could you please post a bugreport on our bugtracker? The mesaages on the forums tend to get lost and forgotten.


Eugene

 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 155
Location: Daventry
Re: minor AGI IIgs annoyance 

quote:
Originally posted by Maxor127
So F1 should be shift 1. The in-game instructions still include the correct shift commands.


Sierra changed their Apple IIgs interpreter to handle Shift-1, etc. as a F1. The scripts still check for F1 and not for Shift-1. There was no special support added for any of that inside ScummVM.

That made sense, because the Apple IIgs keyboard didn't have Function-keys.

In case we change that behavior, then it won't be possible to enter quite a few special characters like "!", or "(" and ")" or "/" or "$".

Do you know how that worked out on an actual Apple IIgs?
 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
Maxor127



Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Posts: 13
Re: minor AGI IIgs annoyance 

quote:
Originally posted by m_kiewitz
quote:
Originally posted by Maxor127
So F1 should be shift 1. The in-game instructions still include the correct shift commands.


Sierra changed their Apple IIgs interpreter to handle Shift-1, etc. as a F1. The scripts still check for F1 and not for Shift-1. There was no special support added for any of that inside ScummVM.

That made sense, because the Apple IIgs keyboard didn't have Function-keys.

In case we change that behavior, then it won't be possible to enter quite a few special characters like "!", or "(" and ")" or "/" or "$".

Do you know how that worked out on an actual Apple IIgs?

I don't know how I missed this reply, and I don't know if it has been fixed already, but I'll respond.

On an actual Apple IIgs in a Sierra AGI game, pressing SHIFT for 0-9 mimicked the function keys for the DOS games. I don't think any of the IIgs AGI games used or required the special characters. The shift key did still capitalize letters.
 Reply with quote  
Post Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:00 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 155
Location: Daventry
Re: minor AGI IIgs annoyance 

quote:
Originally posted by Maxor127
I don't know how I missed this reply, and I don't know if it has been fixed already, but I'll respond.

On an actual Apple IIgs in a Sierra AGI game, pressing SHIFT for 0-9 mimicked the function keys for the DOS games. I don't think any of the IIgs AGI games used or required the special characters. The shift key did still capitalize letters.


I went into more in-depth on the corresponding bug report:
It seems you created it.

https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/9725

It gets really complicated because of for example French keyboard layouts. In case I watched for those scancodes, it seems users with those keyboard layouts wouldn't be able to enter simple numbers anymore (because they press Shift-1 to write '1', yes it's weird). I definitely can't check ascii data either, because of other keyboard layouts.

Which is why I think the only way of doing this would be to do it optionally, otherwise some people won't be able to play Apple IIgs games anymore.
 Reply with quote  
Post Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
  Display posts from previous:      
Reply to topic

Forum Jump:
 



Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2006 phpBB Group
Forum design by ScummVM team, icons by raina
curved edge   curved edge