ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > General Discussion > minor AGI IIgs annoyance
minor AGI IIgs annoyance
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
Maxor127

minor AGI IIgs annoyance 

A minor gripe is that the AGI IIgs games use the function key commands that the DOS (and probably other versions) use instead of shift + number key commands. Can the IIgs version be changed to support their original key commands? It could even be in addition to the function keys.

So F1 should be shift 1. The in-game instructions still include the correct shift commands.

Last edited by Maxor127 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:55 am 
sev
ScummVM Lead

Could you please post a bugreport on our bugtracker? The mesaages on the forums tend to get lost and forgotten.

Eugene

Post Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:19 am 
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Re: minor AGI IIgs annoyance 

quote:
Originally posted by Maxor127
So F1 should be shift 1. The in-game instructions still include the correct shift commands.

Sierra changed their Apple IIgs interpreter to handle Shift-1, etc. as a F1. The scripts still check for F1 and not for Shift-1. There was no special support added for any of that inside ScummVM.

That made sense, because the Apple IIgs keyboard didn't have Function-keys.

In case we change that behavior, then it won't be possible to enter quite a few special characters like "!", or "(" and ")" or "/" or "$".

Do you know how that worked out on an actual Apple IIgs?
Post Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:41 pm 
Maxor127

quote:
Originally posted by m_kiewitz
quote:

Sierra changed their Apple IIgs interpreter to handle Shift-1, etc. as a F1. The scripts still check for F1 and not for Shift-1. There was no special support added for any of that inside ScummVM.

That made sense, because the Apple IIgs keyboard didn't have Function-keys.

In case we change that behavior, then it won't be possible to enter quite a few special characters like "!", or "(" and ")" or "/" or "$".

Do you know how that worked out on an actual Apple IIgs?

I don't know how I missed this reply, and I don't know if it has been fixed already, but I'll respond.

On an actual Apple IIgs in a Sierra AGI game, pressing SHIFT for 0-9 mimicked the function keys for the DOS games. I don't think any of the IIgs AGI games used or required the special characters. The shift key did still capitalize letters.
Post Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:00 am 
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

quote:
I don't know how I missed this reply, and I don't know if it has been fixed already, but I'll respond.

On an actual Apple IIgs in a Sierra AGI game, pressing SHIFT for 0-9 mimicked the function keys for the DOS games. I don't think any of the IIgs AGI games used or required the special characters. The shift key did still capitalize letters.

I went into more in-depth on the corresponding bug report:
It seems you created it.

https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/9725

It gets really complicated because of for example French keyboard layouts. In case I watched for those scancodes, it seems users with those keyboard layouts wouldn't be able to enter simple numbers anymore (because they press Shift-1 to write '1', yes it's weird). I definitely can't check ascii data either, because of other keyboard layouts.

Which is why I think the only way of doing this would be to do it optionally, otherwise some people won't be able to play Apple IIgs games anymore.
Post Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:49 pm 
Reply to topic