ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > SCI/AGI Fangame Creation > Develop a game FOR scummvm
Develop a game FOR scummvm
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
carloratm

Develop a game FOR scummvm 

Hi all,
i'm looking for an engine suitable for adventure games based.
Wonder if there are some free game engines for this purpose, i really don't mind if they aren't open source, i'm looking for an API.
My developing platform is Linux, my favourite language is C++.

Thank you
Cheers

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:38 pm 
Collector

Well, this forum is for the creation of games in AGI or SCI. If you do not wish to use either, you could ask in the "The Junkyard" forum.

Post Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:33 pm 
shanewatson001
Spammer

Hello Guy,,,,,

I know this forum is use for Game Creation Like SCI/AGI. Game Creation (Sierra's Creative Interpreter) for personal purpose and it depends upon the animation design.

Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:06 am 
Collector

A bot?

Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:20 pm 
sev
ScummVM Lead

Yes, a bot. He has spam in his signature and link.

Back on the topic, the only mature game creating tools are for AGI and SCI. There was also attempt to create SCUMM game creator, but I would not recommend to use that due to potential legal issues.

Generally I would recommend to use AGS for creation of new adventure games.

Eugene

Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:58 pm 
MusicallyInspired

I wish AGS still supported creating games in DOS. I'd love to have some custom AGS games on my old 486. I also wish there were DOS tools for AGI/SCI game creation so I could do it all on my 486 and ensure compatibility with hardware, etc.

Post Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sact

There were plenty of DOS tools for SCI & AGI game creation once upon time. Actually when I originally discovered AGI fangame creation scene back in the end of the 90s, I had Super-286 with Turbo-button and all, but AGI DOS-software required at least 386. I was so disappointed. But nowadays, most of the AGI/SCI-related websites have died. Here's few links though that should give miscellaneous DOS-software for AGI and even for SCI:

* agifans - Lance Ewing's original DOS-tools
* AGI Development Site - Plenty of sound-related software, from converting from midi and impulse tracker-modules to Ronnie Harpaz' AGI Sound Edit, very nice.
* If-archives' AGI-section, even has the russian, yet Sierra-AGI incompatible variant AGDS-tool compilation
* Viewedit - Peter Kelly's viewedit from 1997.

Though some of the software has been marked as DOS-software, not all can be run in DOS-mode or require to be ran under 32-bit Windows (according to DOSBox).

I reckon by combining the various DOS-software from these various locations you could attempt do AGI-game creation even on your 486, if not completely, at least partially. And if anyone else knows where to find DOS-tools for AGI/SCI, would be really nice to know.

Last edited by sact on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:16 am 
lance.ewing

Is there a DOS tool for creating VIEWs? I can't remember now. I think everything else might be covered though. There are DOS LOGIC compilers, a DOS picture editor, and ROL2SND can convert Adlib ROL music to AGI SOUND. You will need the Adlib Visual Composer to create ROL files though. which only works in DOS as far as I know. There was a MIDI 2 ROL conversion tool at one point, but I doubt the end result would have been very good. I did all my sounds using ROL2SND, which I wrote for the purpose.

So sact, are the Russian tools not compatible with the Sierra formats? I wasn't aware of that. Are all of the tools incompatible, or just some of them?

Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:25 am 
sact

AGDS's example-game Groza (Thunderstorm) does not work with other AGI-interpreters. Though it does work in ScummVM and with it's own hacked interpreter, I like to prefer original Sierra interpreters or even NAGI as more AGI compatible choice than Groza's interpreter, or ScummVM, that has lacks even the inventory objects handling.

However, my experience with invidual AGDS tools is rather limited. Pictures, views and sound-resources seem to work in AGI Studio and WinAGI, however resources like some logics, WORDS.TOK and OBJECT tend to cause troubles. Maybe it is due to usage of Russian and it's cyrillic letters.

Post Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:20 pm 
sev
ScummVM Lead

AGDS user different encryption string (instead of "Avis Durgan" in AGI it uses "Alex Simkin"), and of course, Cyrillic fonts. Other than that it is a typical AGI2.440 interpreter.

Eugene

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:54 am 
lance.ewing

Thanks for the info. That does ring a bell now. I was aware of the encryption string difference once upon a time. So I guess that means that the VIEW editor with AGDS is an option for DOS users.

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:21 pm 
Reply to topic